We are about mid way across the notorious Bay of Biscay now (46 Deg 19.36Min N, 06 Deg 42.03 West), and we are blessed with a calm sea and friendly winds of 15 knts with a good bit of Easterly so we are broad reaching on a heading of 192 degrees towards la Corunna. We expect to reach this northern Spanish port around mid day on Weds.
Our exit from Camaret went smoothly (no hatches left open to douse any berths his time Philip Iceaxe!). We were soon under sail and looking at making the tide gate for the Raz de Sein but he wind encourage us to continue on our course to the West past the lighthouse and the final bouy marking the end of the Illes de Sein. We have been in close company with an Estonian boat named 'Tormalind' who are also sailing south to the Canaries.
If you are following our track (see the top of the page on the blog site for the 'Where in the World is Tin Tin?), you may have noticed that we made an extremely accurate straight line over night... We were...
I'm sitting in the Floating bar in Mindelo Marina with Paul, Kyle and Niall (who you will beer to hand and computers consuming most of Cape Verde's internet bandwidth! I have to apologise for he lack of posts (and the series of position reports which are probably a little annoying?)I will stop sending them to the blog for the Atlantic crossing. Talking of the Atlantic crossing, there has been a lot of activity over the last two days topping up the stores so we can feed four hungry young men... well two really young men and two slightly older men... Great quantities of oranges, apples, potatoes, beer... Hang on, BEER? I thought this was to be a dry voyage! Well, there is a lot of tonic aboard, coke (full fat version thank goodness!) and still a good supply of Sainsbury's ginger beer left over from our original stores. Of course, I've jumped ahead of myself.. So I ought to take you back to where I left off in my last blog entry which I posted the night of our arrival i...
For photos relevant to this section of the adventure please look at the blog entry posted previously with a link to my online album Antigua and Guadeloupe. It was with a little trepidation that we approached the transition from having four to eight people aboard, three of whom are under ten. After the initial settling in of the new crew and as one or two small teething troubles ('I want to go home' being one!) were overcome, every one has enjoyed the sun sand and swimming we have found on our sojourn around Antigua and then back to Guadeloupe and specifically the Ille-des -Saintes which you may have gathered,if you follow my Twitter account (@Ampthillmark), I regard as the closest thing to heaven on earth! We made a few exploratory sails between Falmouth bay and English harbour, including visits to Pigeon beach and a sail round to a reef to snorkel during which some crew members found that they had yet to find their sea legs and others saw spotted eagle Rays! Antigua, or at lea...
Comments